- Metro’s Red Line – Dupont Circle (SOUTH) – is steps away on 19th Street
- Orange & Blue Lines are a few blocks away (Farragut West).
- There are multiple parking lots on 19th.
- Our suite 901 has 3 offices, shared by several therapists.
- The door is secure (I’ll give you the code to enter). The key to the bathroom (across the hall) is in our waiting area.
- The building has a semi-circular driveway & is wheelchair accessible.
- The front door to the building is locked on Saturday after 1:00 – I’ll give you a code to enter.
- The fees are $200 for 60 minutes and $150 for the 45 minute session.
- I do not participate in Medicare and/or other insurance. If you have out-of-network coverage, the receipt I give you is usually all you need to submit to your insurance for reimbursement.
- Payment (check or cash only) is due at each session.
My contact information is: DrCary@mac.com and (703) 447-8011
Beginning of Therapy
- The initial evaluation is an hour. Therapy sessions are 45 minutes (or an hour, by patient request).
- We determine together whether the therapies I offer are appropriate for you in the evaluation.
- While our focus might be broad (e.g., ‘improve an area in your life), our method is goal-oriented (e.g., “reduce anxiety or procrastination or insomnia or a problem with a relationship or an OCD symptom, etc). So, we’ll determine together what our initial goal will be.
- Most specific goals can be addressed in brief periods, like 6 to 10 sessions.
- You learn a method by which you can use your (new) skills, your strengths, and supports to manage the goal you set
- After we meet that goal, we can either work on another goal together or we can terminate therapy, a choice based on your level of comfort or sense of mastery of this process.
- A booster session is recommended whenever someone is having difficulty applying what was previously learned to a present issue.
- Starting with the initial evaluation, we schedule 4 weekly visits. We can cancel them, if we find that we won’t be working together.
- It’s up to you to schedule more visits.
- It’s best to schedule at least 1 month in advance, to maintain weekly continuity of sessions.
- With your permission, I primarily use email to set up or change appointments … email@example.com
My Areas of Focus:
I work with individual adults using three forms of brief, time-limited therapy. Motivational Therapy helps people be more “ready, willing, & able” to change. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) improves self-management skills to manage most problems. We use Positive Therapy to emphasize and use your strengths to improve your total fitness & well-being. My specialty areas include:
- Mental Health: depression, anxiety, anger, panic, phobias, social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive behavior, as well as other self-defeating behavior under stress
- Motivation to Change or Sustain Behavior: healthy lifestyle habits, like smoking cessation or weight management, procrastination with any goal
- Physical Conditions: pain, fatigue, chronic insomnia
- Chronic Illness Self-Management: changes in function, relationships, self image, moods, values & other quality of life issues
- Well-Being: Increasing resilience, social intelligence, life satisfaction, & fulfillment